Associate - Internal Audit
Marex is a diversified global financial services platform, providing essential liquidity, market access and infrastructure services to clients in the commodities, energy and financial markets.
The Group provides comprehensive coverage across five core services: Market Making, Execution & Clearing, Hedging & Investment Solutions, Price Discovery and Data & Advisory. It has a leading franchise in many major metals, energy and agricultural products, executing around 38 million trades and clearing over 193 million contracts in 2021. The Group provides access to the world’s major commodity markets, covering a broad range of clients that include some of the largest commodity producers, consumers and traders. Marex maintains a strong balance sheet with prudent capital and liquidity positions and has an investment grade credit rating.
Marex was established in 2005 but through its subsidiaries can trace its roots in the commodity markets back almost 100 years. Headquartered in London with 29 offices worldwide, the Group has over 1,600 employees across Europe, Asia and the Americas.
For more information visit www.marex.com
Purpose of Role:
Marex is seeking an Associate – Internal Audit who will be responsible for the following:
- Provides advice and influence change at a senior level to improve Marex corporate governance, risk management practice and internal control environment.
- Through the Group Head of Internal Audit and Head of Business Audit, provides assurance to the Group Board, on the adequacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of the Marex control environment.
- Support the delivery of the corporate priorities of Marex, as set out in the business plan. Increase internal and external confidence in the Marex business and brand.
- Provide value for money and other consultancy services as required.
- Manages business audit aspects of the internal audit function in Marex providing effective governance within the three lines of defence framework.
- Implements and reviews business and risk management process and the effectiveness of the internal control environment, recommends and promotes improvements.
- Promote internal audit and Marex in general to the wider community through direct contact and external and internal interactions.
- Expectation to move to a senior role on successful completion of Series 3 Certification and/or other relevant qualifications.
- Contribute to the strategic development of the internal audit function of Marex and to the Marex business in general and business audit function.
- Leads the review and evaluation of business services within Marex and advises and influence senior management to take steps to increase the effectiveness of risk mitigation.
- With the Head of Business Audit and Senior Internal Audit Manager – North America, assists in conducting an annual audit risk assessment to determine audit need and prioritise those key risks for review within all Marex locations and business units.
- With the Senior Internal Audit Manager – North America, assists in creating, developing, and implementing a three-year strategic internal audit plan for reviewing key risks across all Marex business units. Provide the required level of assurance to the Board, senior management, and other stakeholders.
- Creates, develops, and implements audit policies and procedures for the review of material information systems and infrastructure locations.
- Plan and deliver the annual work programme for Marex with the of Business Audit and Senior Internal Audit Manager – North America.
- Contribute to the development of Marex standards and procedures, reviewing the effectiveness of any internal assurance functions within Marex.
- Advise and influence the Board and senior management within Marex to take appropriate steps to strengthen the governance, risk management and the internal control environment.
- Maintain contact and interaction with external parties and organisations who may contribute to the mission of Marex and the internal audit function with reference in particular to information technology.
- Promote and develop the Marex internal audit function and, develop specialist areas such as data analytics and KPI as appropriate.
- Research, promote, implement, and contribute to electronic work paper and risk assessment tool for the Marex internal audit function.
The Company may require you to carry out other duties from time to time.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 3 years’ experience as an Audit practitioner in a complex financial services organisation(s) or Practice firm preferably with exposure to broking and commodities; or 5 years’ total experience in internal audit.
- Experience in conducting risk assessments and audits of a wide variety of complex financial systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of modern internal audit concepts and standards and their application to the financial services market (additional training will be provided).
- Experience of creating, developing, and implementing audit strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Exposure to internal audit or Compliance functions to provide a professional service.
- Experience in managing relationships and influencing change at a senior level.
- Proficient in information technology skills and carrying out audits of general IT controls.
- Experience of and enthusiasm for working in financial markets.
- Experience of conducting Integrated reviews with IT and standalone business audits.
- Experience of consultancy work to add value would be an advantage.
- Interest in working internationally and willingness to travel (UK, Europe, Singapore,, Canada).
- University Degree – Essential
- CPA Qualification or Part CPA Qualified and/or other industry-relevant qualification – Preferred
- Appropriate personal qualities and credibility necessary to operate effectively at Board level within Marex. Significant exposure to Senior Executives anticipated.
- Effective management and leadership skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Understanding of risk management and the ability to communicate the same.
- Understanding and commitment to diversity and equalities in the workplace.
- Business Analysis and Planning
- Risk Assessment
- Negotiating and Influencing
- Professional Integrity
- Leadership and Innovation
- Personal Impact
- Commercial awareness
- Seeks to add value to the business
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and comfortable working with audit applications
Marex is fully committed to the elimination of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the differences that a diverse workforce brings to the company.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.