Assistant Audit Manager
Marex is a technology-enabled provider of essential liquidity and associated market infrastructure to participants in global energy, metals, agricultural and financial markets.
The Group provides comprehensive breadth and depth of coverage across five core services: Market Making, Execution and Clearing, Hedging and Investment Solutions, Price Discovery and Data & Advisory. It has a leading franchise in many major metals, energy and agricultural products, executing around 38 million trades and clearing over 193 million contracts in 2021. The Group provides access to the world’s major commodity markets, covering a broad range of clients that include some of the largest commodity producers, consumers and traders, banks, hedge funds and asset managers.
Marex was established in 2005 but can trace its roots in the commodity markets back almost 100 years. Headquartered in London with 21 offices worldwide, the Group has over 1,100 employees across Europe, Asia and America.
The Audit team is primarily based in London while 2 members are based in Chicago. It consists of Group Head, Deputy, Audit Managers and ICAEW Students with additional assistance from Mazars LLP who are our co-source partners.
Overall purpose of the role
This role will be an additional to the current team in Chicago. There is the expectation to move to a senior role on successful completion of Series 3 Certification and/or other relevant qualifications.
- Providing advice and influence change at a senior level to improve Marex corporate governance, risk management practice and internal control environment.
- Through the Head of Internal Audit providing assurance to the Board, on the adequacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of the Marex internal control environment.
- Supporting the delivery of the corporate priorities of Marex, as set out in the business plan. Increasing internal and external confidence in the Marex business and brand.
- Providing value for money and other consultancy services as required.
- Contribute to the strategic development of the internal audit function of Marex and to the Marex business in general and business audit function.
- Lead the review and evaluation of business services within Marex and advises and influence senior management to take steps to increase the effectiveness of risk mitigation.
- With the Group Head of Internal Audit, assist in conducting an annual audit risk assessment to determine audit need and prioritise those key risks for review within all Marex locations and business units.
- With the Group Head of Internal Audit, assist in creating, developing, and implementing a three-year strategic internal audit plan for reviewing key risks across all Marex business units. Provide the required level of assurance to the Board, senior management, and other stakeholders.
- Create, develop and implement audit policies and procedures for the review of material information systems and infrastructure locations.
- Plan and deliver the annual work programme for Marex with the Group Head of Audit
- Manage the development of staff as appropriate and ensure professional standards and key performance targets are met.
- Contribute to the development of Marex standards and procedures, reviewing the effectiveness of any internal assurance functions within Marex.
- Advise and influence the Board and senior management within Marex to take appropriate steps to strengthen the governance, risk management and the internal control environment.
- Through the Head of Internal Audit – report to the Marex Board and senior management and the Audit and Compliance Committee on the internal audit function work programme.
- Maintain contact and interaction with external parties and organisations who may contribute to the mission of Marex and the internal audit function with reference in particular to information technology.
- Promote and develop the Marex internal audit function and, develop specialist areas such as CAAT’s as appropriate.
- Research, promote, implement, and contribute to electronic work paper and risk assessment tool for the Marex internal audit function.
- The Company may require you to carry out other duties from time to time
Skills and Experience
- Three years’ experience minimum as an Audit practitioner in a complex financial services organisation(s) or Practice firm preferably with exposure to broking and commodities; or 5 years’ total experience in internal audit.
- Experience in conducting risk assessments and audits of a wide variety of complex financial systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of modern internal audit concepts and standards and their application to the financial services market (additional training will be provided).
- Experience of creating, developing, and implementing audit strategies, policies and procedures.
- Exposure to internal audit or Compliance functions to provide a professional service.
- Experience in managing relationships and influencing change at a senior level.
- Proficient in information technology skills and carrying out audits of general IT controls.
- Experience of and enthusiasm for working in financial markets.
- Experience of conducting Integrated reviews with IT and standalone business audits.
- Experience of consultancy work to add value would be an advantage.
- Understanding of risk management and the ability to communicate the same.
- Interest in working internationally and willingness to travel (UK, Europe, Singapore, HK, Canada).
- University Degree – Essential
- CPA/CIA or Part Qualified and/or other industry-relevant qualification – Preferred
- Appropriate personal qualities and credibility necessary to operate effectively at Board level within Marex. Significant exposure to Senior Executives anticipated.
- Effective management and leadership skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Understanding and commitment to diversity and equalities in the workplace.
- Business Analysis and Planning
- Risk Assessment
- Negotiating and Influencing
- Professional Integrity
- Leadership and Innovation
- Personal Impact
- Commercial awareness
- Seeks to add value to the business