Assistant Manager: Internal Audit
Marex is an essential tech-enabled liquidity hub, connecting clients to global energy, metals, agriculture and financial markets. Across our businesses we provide critical high value-add services in Market Making, Commercial Hedging, Price Discovery and Data & Advisory. Headquartered in London, we have 18 offices worldwide with over 1,000 employees across Europe, Asia and North America – we’re growing quickly, pushing into new products and geographies. Our organisation requires people who thrive in a changing, dynamic and fluid environment.
Overall purpose of role:
• Provides advice and influence change at a senior level to improve Marex corporate governance, risk management practice and internal control environment.
• Through the Head of Internal Audit provides assurance to the Board, on the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the Marex internal control environment.
• Support the delivery of the corporate priorities of Marex, as set out in the business plan. Increase internal and external confidence in the Marex business and brand.
• Provide value for money and other consultancy services as required.
The Audit team is based in the City of London and consists of Group Head, Deputy, 2x Audit Managers and 2x ICAEW Students with additional assistance from Mazars LLP who are our co-source partners.
Assistant Audit Manager:
• Manages business audit aspects of the internal audit function in Marex providing effective governance within the three lines of defence framework.
• Implements and reviews business and risk management process and the effectiveness of the internal control environment, recommends and promotes improvements.
• Promote internal audit and Marex in general to the wider community through direct contact and external and internal interactions.
• Expectation of promotion to Audit Manager on successful completion of probationary period and completion of CISI exams. (6-9 months).
• Contribute to the strategic development of the internal audit function of Marex and to the Marex business in general and business audit function in particular.
• Leads the review and evaluation of business services within Marex and advises and influence senior management to take steps to increase the effectiveness of risk mitigation.
• With the Group Head of Internal Audit conducts an annual audit risk assessment to determine audit need and prioritise those key risks for review within all Marex locations and business units.
• With the Group Head of Internal Audit creates, develops and implements a three-year strategic internal audit plan for reviewing key risks across all Marex business units. Provide the required level of assurance to the Board, senior management and other stakeholders.
• Creates, develops and implements audit policies and procedures for the review of material information systems and infrastructure locations.
• Plan and deliver the annual work programme for Marex with the Group Head of Audit
• Manage the development of staff as appropriate and ensure professional standards and key performance targets are met.
• Contribute to the development of Marex standards and procedures, reviewing the effectiveness of any internal assurance functions within Marex.
• Advise and influence the Board and senior management within Marex to take appropriate steps to strengthen the governance, risk management and the internal control environment.
• Through the Head of Internal Audit – report to the Marex Board and senior management and the Audit and Compliance Committee on the internal audit function work programme.
• Maintain contact and interaction with external parties and organisations who may contribute to the mission of Marex and the internal audit function with reference in particular to information technology.
• Promote and develop the Marex internal audit function and, develop specialist areas such as CAAT’s as appropriate.
• Research, promote, implement and contribute to electronic work paper and risk assessment tool for the Marex internal audit function.
Skills & Requirements:
• Three years’ experience as an Audit practitioner in a complex financial services organisation(s) or Practice firm preferably with exposure to broking and commodities.
• Experience in conducting risk assessments and audits of a wide variety of complex financial systems.
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of modern internal audit concepts and standards and their application to the financial services market.(additional training will be provided)
• Experience of creating, developing and implementing audit strategies, policies and procedures.
• Exposure to internal audit or Compliance functions to provide a professional service.
• Experience in managing relationships and influencing change at a senior level.
• Proficient in information technology skills.
• Experience of and enthusiasm for working in financial markets.
• Experience of conducting Integrated reviews with IT and standalone business audits.
• Experience of consultancy work to add value would be an advantage
• Interest in working internationally and willingness to travel. (expectation in region of 10%)
• ACA (We are authorised to train ICAEW Chartered Accountants and willingness to mentor our students is required)
• CISI (Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments) (or willingness to work towards the CISI qualification)
• Appropriate personal qualities and credibility necessary to operate effectively at Board level within Marex Spectron. Significant exposure to Senior Executives anticipated.
• Effective management and leadership skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent inter-personal skills.
• Understanding of risk management and the ability to communicate same
• Understanding and commitment to diversity and equalities in the workplace.
• Business Analysis and Planning
• Risk Assessment
• Negotiating and Influencing
• Professional Integrity
• Leadership and Innovation
• Personal Impact
• Commercial awareness
• Seeks to add value to the business
Marex is fully committed to the elimination of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the differences that a diverse workforce brings to the company.