Regional Senior Risk Officer - Paris
Marex is a diversified global financial services platform, providing essential liquidity, market access and infrastructure services to clients in the energy, commodities and financial markets.
The Group provides comprehensive breadth and depth of coverage across four core services: Market Making, Clearing, Hedging and Investment Solutions and Agency and Execution. It has a major franchise in many major metals, energy and agricultural products, executing around 50 million trades and clearing 205 million contracts in 2022. The Group provides access to the world’s major commodity markets, covering a broad range of clients that include some of the largest commodity producers, consumers and traders, banks, hedge funds and asset managers.
Marex was established in 2005 but through its subsidiaries can trace its roots in the commodity markets back almost 100 years. Headquartered in London with 36 offices worldwide, the Group has over 1,800 employees across Europe, Asia and America.
For more information visit www.marex.com
Risk oversight for continental Europe activities (including their branches and subsidiaries). The role will also focus on the assessment and governance of risk. The business activities encompass brokerage, trading/market-making, and distribution/sales.
This is a newly created role within a growing team, in response to Marex expanding its presence and profile in France and Europe. This will be a highly visible role and where development of successful and supportive relationships with key stakeholders across several business disciplines will be required. By nature, the role holder will be hands-on, proactive, and anticipatory in thinking. They will also be driven and can provide significant value in delivery.
Framework and Governance
- Risk oversight for all local matters and responsible for embedding good risk culture at Marex.
- Maintenance of the entities Risk Framework and associated Risk profiles with the operationalising of management tools and techniques.
- Influence and monitoring progress of action plans to improve the risk and control environment.
- Risk assessment for new and existing clients including escalation.
- Propose client limits with responsibility for adherence oversight.
- Review counterparty methodology and adherence oversight.
- Market risk assessment of trading books and limits monitoring
- Acts in a challenging capacity to requests for Risk Acceptance with associated actions and ensures the regular review of action status through to closure.
- Analysing and propose responses to internal and external loss data.
- Completion of regulatory submissions.
- Deep dive on reviews as per ad-hoc requests.
- Ability to back up colleagues.
Response and Communication
- Communicate and present key risks to Senior Leadership and to support the local governance committees. These include but are not limited to risk appetite, risk and control self-assessment, risk indicators, risk register and risk event evaluation.
- Ensuring changes in the regulatory environment for Risk are assessed and implemented.
- Production of Risk Management Information to support local governance and regulatory requirements.
- Engaging with Group Risk and wider functions providing support for Risk based decisions.
- Oversight of changes impacting the entity including ‘New Hire / Transfers’ between entities.
- Track changes which impact the Control Framework to ensure it remains fit for purpose.
Skills and Experience
- Hardworking, motivational, and influential
- Ability to work very collaboratively within a global team
- 5-7 years of experience* on a similar role
- Strong interest on financial markets and operations
- Eager to learn and progress in a fast-changing environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A collaborative team player, approachable, self-efficient and influences a positive work environment
- Demonstrates curiosity
- Resilient in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Ability to take a high level of responsibility in a fast pace and high-volume environment
- Excels at building relationships, networking and influencing others
- Strategic collaborator with insight and agility, able to anticipate future challenges, ensuring operational effectiveness
- Act with integrity
- Act with due skill, care and diligence
- Be open and cooperative with the FCA, the PRA and other regulators
- Pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly
- Observe proper standard of market conduct
- Act to deliver good outcomes for retail customers
Marex is fully committed to the elimination of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the differences that a diverse workforce brings to the company.
*Candidates outside of this experience range will also be considered.