Compliance Officer - Singapore
Responsible for ensuring the Marex Group entities in Singapore understand, adhere to and operate within the requirements of local and (relevant) overseas regulators and exchanges.
Description of Department
Marex has unique access across markets with significant share globally both on and off exchange. The depth of knowledge amongst its teams and divisions provides its customers with clear advantage, and its technology-led service provides access to all major exchanges, order-flow management via screen, voice and DMA, plus award-winning data, insights and analytics.
Marex operates a ‘three lines of defence’ compliance strategy. The Compliance department forms the second line of defence, providing oversight and advice to the first line of defence.
This role sits within the Compliance Department reporting to the Regional Head of Compliance, the Group Head of Compliance and further to the Group CRO.
- Proactively lead, manage and develop the Singapore Compliance function.
- Overseeing and contributing to a comprehensive and documented programme of routine and non-routine compliance monitoring and assurance activities of the APAC business with a particular focus on Singapore.
- Providing compliance review and approval of new Business specific initiatives such as new transaction structures, new jurisdictions, new systems, etc.
- Providing advice on the application of local compliance policies, exchange rules and regulations.
- Advising on new and existing products and all regulatory activities, including relevant regulatory change.
- Maintaining good relationships with relevant APAC regulators, particularly the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Working with Legal, Compliance colleagues and other support function staff across the region and in the other regions to advise on and to address any cross-jurisdictional compliance matters.
- Drafting and providing Compliance training.
- Assisting with regulatory inspections or enquiries and coordinating responses with input from relevant stakeholders.
- Participating in the annual Compliance Risk Assessment Process.
- Conducting and co-ordinating risk-based monitoring reviews as part of the Compliance Assurance Programme to assess regulatory requirements and internal policies.
- Ensuring issues are escalated to the Regional Head of Compliance and other Senior Management as necessary.
- Preparing reporting and MI, as necessary.
- Ensuring compliance with the company’s regulatory requirements as appropriate.
- Adhere to the operational risk framework for your role ensuring that all regulatory or company determined parameters are complied with
- Role model for demonstrating highest level standards of integrity and conduct and reflecting Company Values.
- At all times complying with Marex’s Code of Conduct.
- To ensure that you are fully aware of and adhere to internal policies that relate to you, your role or any other activities for which you have any level of responsibility.
- To report any breaches of policy to the Regional Head of Compliance as required.
- To escalate risk events immediately.
- To provide input to risk management processes, as required.
The Company may require you to carry out other duties as instructed from time to time.
Competencies, Skills, and Experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- A collaborative team player, approachable, self-efficient and influences a positive work environment;
- Demonstrates curiosity;
- Resilient in a challenging, fast-paced environment;
- Ability to take a high level of responsibility in a fast pace and high-volume environment;
- Excels at building relationships, networking and influencing others; and
- Strategic collaborator with insight and agility, able to anticipate future challenges, ensuring operational effectiveness.
Skills and Experience
- Experience working in a Compliance function in a regulated environment and knowledge of the risk and compliance requirements associated with this;
- Knowledge of the Singapore rules and requirements; and
- Educated to degree level in an appropriate discipline.
Acting as a role model for the values of the Company:
Respect – Clients are at the heart of our business, with superior execution and superb client service the foundation of the firm. We respect our clients and always treat them fairly.
Integrity – Doing business the right way is the only way. We hold ourselves to a high ethical standard in everything we do – our clients expect this and we demand it of ourselves.
Collaborative – We work in teams – open and direct communication and the willingness to work hard and collaboratively are the basis for effective teamwork. Working well with others is necessary for us to succeed at what we do.
Developing our People – Our people are the basis of our competitive advantage. We look to ‘grow our own’ and make Marex Spectron the place ambitious, hardworking, talented people choose to build their careers.
Adaptable and Nimble – Our size and flexibility is an advantage. We are big enough to support our client’s various needs, and adaptable and nimble enough to respond quickly to changing conditions or requirements. A non-bureaucratic, but well controlled environment fosters initiative as well as employee satisfaction.
• Act with integrity;
• Act with due skill, care and diligence;
• Be open and co-operative with the relevant regulators;
• Pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly; and
• Observe and enforce proper standards of market conduct.